Monday, July 2, 2007

Electronic games and kids: Not MY kids


I didn't enjoy video games growing up. Pac-man, Kaboom and Asteroids were boring to me. Then again, given the choice I would rather read a book than watch a movie. I would rather play a sport and be outside than use my thumbs to press buttons for hours.

Until recently my kids did not play electronic games either. Why should they? What a waste of time; mind-numbing time. I know many Moms feel the same way. As a matter of fact, I talked to three of them just last week. Essentially the media has Moms believing that all electronic games are violent (much like this heart wrenching video portrays.) Picture your youngster saying these words!! OUCH!

Then, Rick Ferdig, a trusted colleague, started talking about his new research in educational gaming. Rick is a very bright and interesting fellow so I listened skeptically. Then, another respected colleague, Jeff Boyer, gave me a book entitled: "How computer games help children learn" by David Williamson Shaffer. I followed up that read with "Don't bother me, Mom, I am learning" by Mark Prensky. Both Rick and Jeff could be considered gaming junkies but they got me thinking and reading.

My kids now play a limited number of games on the computer and we have recently purchased a Wii thanks to the persistence of my husband (No boxing or other violent games allowed.) The passion and enthusiasm my kids display is amazing. My oldest son, Danny (5), became a bowling "pro" last weekend. He was jazzed and started telling everyone (including me) how they could become a "pro" like him. The skills (social, academic and technical) my little ones have displayed via electronic games over the past couple of months have amazed me.

While we still spend most of our time doing things other than electronic gaming, it has added another dimension to our household and another item to the list of favorites (which includes the art box, the piano keyboard, the bikes, the pool and a wide variety of balls, frisbees, bats and other sports accessories).

While I am still holding tight to the "evils" of most television-viewing, my perspectives on electronic gaming are slowly changing. I see a smirk on many of my colleagues' faces already.

5 comments:

Natalie Milman said...

I have to admit that I probably liked playing Pac Man and Atari more than reading when I was a kid (this coming from an English major!). Even so, I displayed some concern when my 7-yr old daughter became interested in the Internet - particularly computer games (and this is from a so called "expert" in educational technology) - With some skepticism, I sat with her as she showed me how one particular site, WebKinz (see http://webkin)z.com, worked. I found it was rather harmless (although if I let her, she will spend HOURS on this site) - and with the concerns about females in particular and technology, believe that it fosters an interest in tech use. Plus, it helps to develop some responsibility, too.

Anonymous said...

I never really liked video games all that much growing up and I was very apprehensive about letting my son play any type of video games. However, after hearing about how educational leap frog and v-smiles can be I finally decided to give it a try. The results have been positive. There is educational value to the games and I have found that I really don't even have to tell my son, Connor (5) to turn it off. He seems to just naturally want to use it in moderation. He may go a week or more not even turning it on and then one evening he'll want to play it for a while. I have never seen him play it for more that maybe 30-45 minutes at a time and he wants me there too so we take turns and talk about what is going on with the game. I guess my point is that maybe video games are kind of like a lot of other things in life...okay in moderation and maybe even good because of the games that involve letters, numbers, patterns, and the benefit of the hand eye coordination and fine motor skills used while playing the game.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
My name is James and im a 24 year old gamer. When i was younger ( 1986 or so) i found this great game, duck hunt. i wasnt any good i was to young to really understand but i was hooked. From then on, i spent alot of my times playing games. To date i can spend over 3 hours on a game system easy. Yes i play a bit to much, but i dont think its bad and ill explain why. When i just got out of high school I didnt know what i wanted to do for a living ( and i hated school so i never thought of collage) so i started working in the construction field. Last year i was making $25.49 per hour for about 50+ hours a week. (at 23 that was great) and after a long day i would come home and sit on my computer and play world of warcraft. One night when i came home i explained to my girlfriend how i hated my job and that if i could i would create video games for a living. "you can" she said almost the second i stoped talking. Long story short i have gone back to school and i love it. I feel like im doing what i was ment to do. Yes my mother was also very scared that i was wasting my time, i was destroying my mind and my vision. but now she see's that i am serious about my schooling and my goal. So mothers yes please watch your kid's and make sure they go outside and play sports and build memories with you but also support them in their gaming if you can because it could be something that they really want to do with there life. Sorry this was so long. :)

thank you.

Anonymous said...

P.S.
hahaha i dont know how i happened on this site. i was serching for photo's on google for a school assiment in my computer graphic's class. just got hooked i guess *shrug*

Unknown said...

Your post is exactly why Jenny Mannion made her Kids computer games recommendations! It's a great site were she gives reviews on all kinds of kids games. All are non-violent and educational. If you're worried about your kids playing the wrong kind of games I suggest you take a peek at her site here is the url: http://jennymannion.com/kidscomputergames/